Introduction to Dhikr
Dhikr is a specific term that gives meaning to utterance and is mostly used in Islam. We can spell it as Zikr or Zikar. It is a collection of words or phrases that are used in Islam to show some devotional acts. It could be done anytime, before and after prayers and in the morning and evening. You can count it on a counter or through your phalanges of the hand. Dhikr is a critical element of Islam and Muslims used to do it for stress and depression relief.
Meaning of Dhikr
The literal meanings of Dhikr are Mention and Utterance. Some other definitions are remembering or reminder. It would be best if you had a reminder to remember something, and Dhikr is that reminder that reminds you of Allah. It is one of the most essential and critical terms used in Sufi Islam or Tasawauf in the Muslim world. The term Azkar, the plural of Zikar, connotes God’s conjuring, or recitation of Divine names, a ritual (wazifa) performed by Sufis institutionally in the Sufi custom of the Islamic world.
List of Dhikr of Allah
There is a lot of Dhikr that you can do anytime and anywhere. Some of the most common and important are as:
- 1. Reading Quran
- Ten compensations for each letter read
To learn more :Reasons to learn Quran from a Native Arabic Tutor
- Subhan Allah or Subhan Allah wa bihamdihi (Glory to Allah and offer acclaim to Him)
- A tree planted for you in Jannah.
- Alhamdulillah (All praise is for Allah)
- Reward on your sizes of awful deeds and great.
- Subhan Allah wal Hamdu lillah, wa la Ilaha illhah wa Allah u Akbar,
(Brilliance to Allah, all praise is for Allah. There is no divinity commendable or love other than Allah. Allah is the best)
- The combination of Dhikr is dearest by Allah.
- Sins tumble off you
- La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah (There is no force besides by Allah)
- Enter through an uncommon in heaven who use this Dhikr.
- 6. Alhamdulillah, Allah u Akbar and Subhan Allah
(Greatness to Allah. ‘Recognition be to Allah. Allah is extraordinary)
- Say before you head to sleep and after Salat
- Gives you benefits
- Astaghfirullah (I look for absolution from Allah)
- Protection from Allah’s discipline
- Ayat ul Kursi
- Read and present it before you rest
- Allah sends a gatekeeper heavenly attendant to you, and shaytan (villain) will come to you until morning.
- Those who read this after Salah will enter heaven
- La Ilaha il Allah (There is God however Allah)
- Doors of paradise and wards significant sins off
- Love to Allah
Powerful Dhikr in Islam
Our Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad SAW has advised us to do some dhikr that is too powerful and has too much importance in Islam. Power and Importance of it have been derived from Hadiths and Verses of the Holy Quran. Some are:
Hazrat Muhammad SAW told that:
- Whoever sits in a social occasion and enjoys pointless talk and before getting up asks: Subhan Allah wal Hamdu lillah, wa la Ilaha illhah wa Allah u Akbar
(O Allah, you are liberated from each defect; acclaim be to You. I affirm that there is no obvious god aside from You; I ask Your Pardon and go to You in contrition),’ he will be excused for (the wrongdoings he may have deliberately or accidentally dedicated) in that gathering.
A true companion of Hazrat Muhammad SAW narrated that:
- There isn’t anybody upon the earth who says: ‘None has the option to be venerated Allah however, and Allah is the Greatest, and there is no might nor power besides by Allah, (La ilaha illa Allah, wa Allahu Akbar, wa la ḥawla wa la quwwata illa billah) then again, actually his transgressions will be acquitted, regardless of whether they resembled the froth of the ocean. (Al Trimidhi)
Hazrat Muhammad SAW told that:
- He who do Dhikr a hundred times and remembers these words: ‘La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa’ ala kulli Shain Qadir.
- ‘Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi (Allah is free from imperfection, and He is the praise)’ 100 times a day, his sins will be obliterated even if they are equal to the extent of the foam of the ocean. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
Dhikr to do after Salah
It is not recommended to leave the mosque after prayer immediately. After prayer, you can do many Dhikr, which have too many rewards on the day of judgment. Some of the key and most known to do after prayers or salah are:
- The most well-known Azkar to do after prayer is “Tasbeeh e Fatimah.”
- Subhan Allah (33 times)
- Alhamdulillah (33 times)
- Allah u Akbar (34 times)
- One more is to do after each prayer is:
- Astaghfirullah 100 times after each prayer.
Morning Dhikr and Azkar
Doing Dhikr and Azkar in morning and evening plays a key role in the purification of hearts of Muslims. It can give you relief from stress and depression. Some Azkar are specified for evening and morning. Some are:
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الْعَفْوَ وَالْعَافِيَةَ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالْآخِرَةِ, اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الْعَفْوَ وَالْعَافِيَةَ فِي دِينِي وَدُنْيَايَ وَأَهْلِي، وَمَالِي، اللَّهُمَّ اسْتُرْ عَوْرَاتِي، وَآمِنْ رَوْعَاتِي, اللَّهُمَّ احْفَظْنِي مِنْ بَيْنِ يَدَيَّ، وَمِنْ خَلْفِي، وَعَنْ يَمِينِي، وَعَنْ شِمَالِي، وَمِنْ فَوْقِي، وَأَعُوذُ بِعَظَمَتِكَ أَنْ أُغْتَالَ مِنْ تَحْتِي
O Allah, I look for Your absolution and Your security in this world and the following. O Allah, I look for You’re pardoning and Your insurance in my religion, in my everyday undertakings, in my family and riches. O Allah disguise my privileged insights and save me from misery. O Allah monitors me based on what is before me and behind me, from my left and right, and above me. I look for shelter in Your Greatness from being struck down from underneath me.
Importance of Dhikr in Islam from the Quran and Hadith
Dhikr is one of the most delightful and easy ways to remember Allah. Allah Almighty has created us and is too merciful on us. He has made us and providing all the essentials of life to everyone in the world.
A Hadith from Sahih Al-Bukhari let us know that Hazrat Muhammad SAW told:
- My worker keeps on gravitating toward Me with discretionary works so that I will cherish him. At the point when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes, and his foot with which he strolls. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would offer it to him; and were he to approach Me for shelter, I would without a doubt concede him it? (Bukhari)
At another place, the Holy Prophet SAW said:
- There will be a palm tree for him in paradise, one who is reciting Subhan Allah one time. (Tirmidhi)
Find Out More : Reasons why you should learn the Hadith?
The Holy Quran says:
- you who accept! Commend the commendations of Allah and do so frequently and celebrate Him morning and night. (Surah Al-ahzab)
- Furthermore, men who recall Allah much and ladies who recollect, Allah has arranged for them absolution and a tremendous prize. (Surah Al-ahzab)
Benefits of Dhikr
Dhikr has too many benefits for both body and soul. It is one of the best foods for the soul. Those who are praising Allah Almighty all the time, Allah will reward them in a better way, and they are under Allah’s supervision all the time. Our Holy prophet SAW said:
- ‘If anybody says multiple times toward the beginning of the day, ‘I look for shelter in Allah, the Hearer, and Knower, from the abhorrent friend,’ and recounts three refrains toward the finish of surah Hashar, Allah will place accountable for him 70,000 heavenly attendants who will summon gifts on him till the night, and if he passes on that day, he will bite the dust as a saint. On the off chance that anybody says them at night, he will be in that position.’ (Tirmidhi)
Dhikr is food for the soul.
Ibn e Tiyammah narrated that:
- ‘Dhikr is my morning food, and if I don’t do this, I will lose my solidarity.’ This was his sustenance for his spirit.
How to do Dhikr
Now, the most fundamental question for a new Muslim is that how to do or perform Dhikr? This section could help you with the methods:
- Do Dhikr after each Salah and think about Allah during Dhikr performing.
- You can do Dhikr aloud or silently. Silent Dhikr is better after prayer or Salah because some people might be disturbed by your voice. A loud dhikr is better in loneliness.
- You can count your number on phalanges of your hand or a string of prayer beads, or a digital counter. Each hand has five fingers with 15 digits or phalanges. You can manage your dhikr count according to these digits.
The most common Dhikr to do after prayers are:
- Subhan Allah 33 times.
- Alhamdulillah 33 times
- Allahu Akbar 34 times.
Find Out More : Tasbeeh
What are Sufi Dhikr and Dhikr beads?
Sufi Dhikr is a specific dhikr to perform in Sufism and linked to Naqshbandi, Chishtiya, Qadriya, Burhaniya lineages. Followers of the mentioned lineages used to recite specific types of Dhikr called Sufi dhikr. In this, there are some Surahs, Verses, and terms to be repeated.
Dhikr beads are also known as Tasbih or Tasbeeh and use to count the number of Azkar you are doing. It usually has 99 or 100 beads and uses to keep a record on track for a specific zikar.
The Bottom line
From the whole discussion, we can say that Dhikr is a vital component of Islam to remember Allah. Doing Azkar is a way to be grateful to Allah for his uncountable blessings on us. You can do different Azkar day and night and earn immense advantages and benefits as a Muslim. It is a way to Jannah. For more articles click here.